Theology must be based on God's revelation of Himself and His will found in His Word. Too often we base it on a reaction to someone or some doctrine we are certain is wrong. And when we do, we can end up being just as wrong.
If we are not careful, we ride the pendulum of one extreme position to an- other. We must not allow extremists to steal sound theology, faith, teaching, and practice from us as we become so afraid we will look like or sound like someone we disagree with that we end up not looking like or sounding like God's Word.
Please, whatever you do, do not allow the following overreactions to steal from you the gospel truths contained in God's Word.
- Don't let the Ecumenicals steal God's love from you (1 John 4:8, 19).
- Don't let the Pentecostals steal God's Holy Spirit from you (Ephesians 3:16).
- Don't let the Evangelicals steal God's joy from you (Philippians 4:4).
- Don't let the Calvinists steal God's grace from you (Ephesians 2:8-10).
- Don't let the Legalists steal God's law from you (1 Corinthians 9:21).
- Don't let the Jehovah's Witnesses steal evangelism from you (Matthew 28:19; Mark 16:15-16; Acts 8:40).
- Don't let the Disciplers steal God's accountability partners from you (Ecclesiastes 4:9-12).
- Don't let the Social Gospel propagandists steal the devotion to God's good works from you (Ephesians 2:10; Titus 2:14; 3:14).
- Don't let the Conservatives steal God's discipline from you (Hebrews 12:7-12).
- Don't let the Liberals steal God's compassion from you (2 Corinthians 2:7-8).
— From his blog God's Way Works