“For indeed, in this house we groan, longing to be clothed with our dwelling from heaven.” (2 Corinthians 5:2)
Ever been caught in a rainstorm without a jacket? It won’t kill you, but it will definitely leave you cold and miserable. The wrong attire leaves you feeling exposed and longing for a fireplace and some dry clothes.
Life here on earth is a bit like that for our souls. Our earthly bodies are inferior dwelling places for souls meant for eternity. Our bodies bleed, they ache, and, at times, they even sabotage our heavenly objectives with their fleshly desires. If you don’t feel at home in your own skin, it is because you aren’t home yet. God promises His children a better life and a better body created for a heavenly eternity. The groaning as we wait for that new body and hope is just us waiting in the rain for the warmth of a better day.
Matthew 4:4 #Biblebites
Today’s Reading: 2 Corinthians 5:1-10
Questions to ask:
- How is Paul feeling as he writes today’s passage? What is his mood?
- What are the central themes in Paul’s preaching and teaching which are being emphasized, or how are the central themes in this epistle being emphasized in today’s reading?
- How does our reading show Paul’s people skills, especially how he handles conflict?
- What in this passage would change the lives of the believer(s) being addressed? How does it make me a better disciple?
- How does this show the “good news” of the gospel? How can I share that with someone else?
This year, #Biblebites are following the life and writings of Paul. If you would like a copy of the reading schedule, you can view it here: https://eastlandchristians.org/news-events/2023-vision